- Offers access to a huge number of cryptocurrencies.
- Once you upgrade your account, there is no lifetime limit on purchases or withdrawals from ATMs.
- Relatively straightforward fee structure.
- Unlike other sites where you are apparently able to purchase a second card only for your account to get blocked, multi-card purchases work smoothly on Uquid.
- Fairly poor website interface and dubious standard of English.
- United States residents can’t use it.
- There isn’t enough information on Uquid to be 100% comfortable although customer reviews are positive.
If you’re looking for an all-in-one solution which finally helps you use your cryptocurrency, perhaps the Uquid Bitcoin debit card is exactly what you’ve been waiting for? Given the explosion in cryptocurrency interest, an increasing number of companies have realised that people want an easy way to use Bitcoin and other currencies. Uquid is one of these firms, and you can find out if it is worth your time by reading on.
What is Uquid?
There is an infuriatingly small amount of information about the organisation. For example, the website doesn’t say who founded Uquid. In fact, it doesn’t provide us with much in the way of detail. We know it was formed in 2013, its HQ is in Coventry, England, and it moved into Bitcoin services in 2016, but that’s about it!
In terms of services, Uquid provides access to 89 cryptocurrencies at the time of writing including the big boys such as Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Litecoin. Its main offerings are its Bitcoin Debit Card and Altcoin Debit Card.
You can use your wallet in GBP, EUR, and USD and as the transfers from the wallet to the Uquid card happen immediately at real market rates, you have the option to spend your coins ASAP. Uquid offers physical and virtual cards; the latter is usable immediately, but you will have to wait 1-2 weeks for the physical card.
Once you have it, you can use it to top-up your mobile phone, pay bills, public transportation, and virtually anything else you use a ‘traditional’ debit card for. You can withdraw from any one of 34 million ATMs around the world. Overall, the advantages include:
• No credit check for cardholders.
• You only spend what you ‘load’ on the card so you won’t fall into debt.
• It is possible to manage your account 24/7 on your laptop or mobile device.
• You can pay without revealing any financial details.
• You can load the card through a variety of payment methods including PayPal, Paysafecard, CashU, any one of dozens of cryptocurrencies and much more.
When you receive your card, you have what is called a ‘Silver’ or Know Your Customer 1 (KYC 1) account. This means you’re limited in terms of what you can do; the only way to lift these limits is by upgrading your account to ‘Gold’ or KYC 2 level. You can upgrade your card by providing proof of address (credit card bill etc.) and photo ID (Passport etc.). Here is a couple of screenshots of these limits:
As you can see, daily withdrawals and loads increase dramatically when you upgrade your account.
Uquid’s fees are as follows:
• $1 for the virtual card.
• $16.99 for the plastic card.
• Monthly maintenance fee of $1.
• Obtaining your PIN code for the second time is $1.
• $2.50 per domestic withdrawal.
• $3 per international withdrawal.
• 3% currency exchange fee if the card’s base currency is different to the purchase currency.
• Loading fees vary and include 5% for Alipay and 1.5% for wire transfers.
What is Uquid Like to Use?
We like the fact that the platform is available in several languages including French, Arabic, English, and German; it’s just a shame that the English version of the site needs some work! The site is not particularly well designed, but the FAQ section is helpful. If you need to speak to someone in customer service, send an email or create a ticket in the site’s support section.
Uquid does its job pretty well with fairly quick card delivery and fees that fall in line with the standard market rate. We are happy with the fact that it charges a flat fee for most transactions and not a percentage. This is an advantage when you want to withdraw large amounts though it is admittedly a pain when withdrawing moderate amounts.
Having access to so many cryptocurrencies is great; we just wish Uquid would clean up its website a little.